ASC 606 – Are you ready?
By MarinkaRohflls, Head – Services
By now, you’ve heard about the new rules governing revenue recognition
rules that took effect on January 1, 2018 for public companies and January
1, 2019 for private firms.
What is ASC 606?
ASC 606 (Revenue from Contracts with Customers) is the new revenue
recognition standard that affects all businesses that enter into contracts
with customers to transfer goods or services. Developed jointly by the
Financial Accounting Standard’s Board (FASB) and Internal Accounting
Standard Board (IASB), ASC 606 provides a framework for businesses to
recognize revenue more consistently. The IASB refers the new guidelines as
The new five step model for recognizing revenue
Prepare for ASC 606 with NetSuite Advanced Revenue Management
Advanced revenue management (ARM) is an integral component of NetSuite
order to revenue workflow, it allows to source from multiple sales
contracts and non-sales documents (i.e. project) and construct a
consolidated revenue arrangement; while automating revenue forecasting,
allocation, recognition, reclassification and auditing through a rule based
event handling framework.
With ARM, revenue is deferred across future periods according to the rules
configured. It supports fair value based on vendor-specific evidence
(VSOE), best estimate selling price (BESP), third party evidence (TPE), and
other fair value methods as company uses. These fair values are used to
determine the revenue allocation ratios for multi-element transactions.
Advanced Revenue Management (ARM) benefits
· Drive revenue workflow through rule based event management framework that
automates the creation, update and posting of revenue records, eliminating
error-prone manual work items.
· Allow user to directly execute complex revenue allocation, booking and
reclassification without additional scripting, complying with the new ASC
606 regulatory requirements.
· Enable rapid deployment of new product offerings through automated change
management (upsell, downsell, contract modification)
· Provide an accountant-friendly user interface, improving visibility
throughout order-to revenue
· Introduce fully detailed system notes and audit trail (including version
history key of revenue records), improving governance and compliance.
ARM Key Features
- Automatically schedule revenue to recognize in the appropriate period
based on rules.
Support Multi-Currency Transactions
- Ensure that fluctuations in exchange rates are appropriately
accounted for in each period.
Manage Balance Sheet Accounts
- Automatically adjust contract liability (deferred revenue) and
contract asset balances based on real-time billings and revenue data.
View Financials in Real-Time
- Automatically post to the general ledger from Revenue Plans—on your
schedule, as frequently as you wish.
- Provide flexible forecasting to accommodate revenue projection
updates based on real-time business events such as project plan updates
or planned revenue withheld to a future period.
Flexible Revenue Contracts
- Drive an agile and accurate view of the revenue contract
Dynamic Fair Value Pricing
– Define the fair value as either a constant or a dynamic formula.
Powerful Allocation Calculator
- Leverage Fair Value Prices to automatically allocate arrangement
consideration across all Elements within the Arrangement—including
support for ASC 605 and ASC 606/IFRS 15 standards.
Support Percentage-of-Completion Accounting
- Support revenue accounting for projects leveraging percentage-of-
Support Event Driven Revenue Plans
- Align revenue recognition with event triggers—for example the
fulfillment of an item, the generation of a bill against an order, or
work beginning on a project.
Book-Specific Fair Value Prices, Revenue Rules, Plans and
– Automate concurrent posting to all books as business transactions
occur in real-time, versus “after the fact” posting or waiting until
the end of the period to replicate data entry and post adjustments.
Book-Specific Foreign Currency Management
– Enable accounting departments to use book-specific functional
currencies when calculating the general ledger impact, including the
realized and unrealized foreign currency gain/loss amounts per
Book-Specific Financial Reporting
– Enable real-time revenue visibility for any book, anywhere, anytime.
Upaya is a 5 Star award winning leading NetSuite partner and is
certified to implement Advanced Revenue Management.
Companies that we have implemented ARM:
Contact us today if you have question or need help implementing or
transitioning to the new revenue recognition standard (ASC 606).
Wishing you continued success!!!
Till next time,